Fields are 95% Planted — Happiness Reigns

Published On: May 5, 2021

 

Good Timing on Spring Rains

Trent Brandenburg is happy to have 95% of his corn and soybean acreage planted. He’s is taking a day or two off right now as recent and predicted rains will make that remaining 5% too wet to plant for a few days. Trent sees good germination in his planted acres; “of course the ones we just planted two days ago are not up yet.” “This year is starting off good,” Trent summarized.

Most rains for the past month have been spaced well enough to help germination of seeds just planted, but not so often or so heavy to cause serious delays in fieldwork. The USDA’s latest planting estimates for Illinois this week are: Corn planted reached 54 percent, compared to the 5-year average of 49 percent. Soybeans planted reached 41 percent, compared to the 5-year average of 14 percent. For Trent to be 95% planted at the end of April is a great start for the new season.

View more from The Field Report

More from The Field Report

It Was A Good Year

December 5, 2022|

Trent Brandenburg has completed his harvest. His 2022 corn and soybean crops are "in the bin". Asked how he would rate the crop year, Trent thought a bit and said, "It was a good year." Trent has concerns during the [...]

Soybeans are Done with Just One-Third Of Corn To Go

October 25, 2022|

Trent Brandenburg is done with his soybean harvest. Most of his bean fields averaged in the seventy-bushels-per-acre range, with one in the eighties. "Not as good as last year," Trent observed, "but at fourteen dollars a bushel, that's a lot [...]

Soybean Harvest Begins In Two Days, Maybe…

September 21, 2022|

Trent Brandenburg expects to begin his soybean harvest in two days "if it doesn't rain," he predicted on Wednesday, September 21, 2022. His corn harvest will begin when the kernel moisture content drops, either from drying in the field or [...]

View more from The Field Report